To: UT Faculty and Staff
From: Susan Martin, Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor
The Spring Cleanup has been a great success in its first two years. The 2014 spring-cleaning effort kicks off on March 17. We hope that you will join us as we begin the process again this semester.
Campus departments should use the Spring Cleanup program as an opportunity to remove surplus equipment, used furniture, trash, and recyclables.
Last year, 102 tons of surplus equipment and furniture were removed from campus academic buildings, along with 260 cubic yards of construction trash and eighty cubic yards of scrap metal that were recycled.
Facilities Services and UT Warehousing are dedicating special resources to support the cleanup again this year and make it easier to move property out of your buildings. Staff from Facilities Services will go building-by-building to help units simplify the process. Computer and laboratory equipment, furniture, office supplies, paper files, and more may be recycled, discarded, or sent to UT Warehousing.
The cleanup will begin with the Science & Engineering Research Facility on March 17, and will continue for fifteen weeks to include most academic buildings. (A complete schedule is available at the end of this message.) Academic units will be reminded of their upcoming cleanup dates via e-mail, and updates and schedule reminders will also appear in Tennessee Today.
Some new and recently renovated buildings were not scheduled, but any department can contact UT Warehousing at any time to arrange a pick-up of surplus property.
Some work is required of departments to prepare for their cleanup week.
Campus units should download UT Warehousing’s surplus property form at http://utk.edu/go/ol (pdf), and submit the completed form the week before their cleanup is scheduled to begin. Submissions should be faxed to the number included on the form.
If you have computers to surplus, download the computer surplus form at http://utk.edu/go/om (pdf). If you have equipment that will require decontamination, download the surplus equipment decontamination form at http://utk.edu/go/on. Learn more about surplus property on the UT Warehousing website at http://utk.edu/go/ok.
The cleanup aims to improve the look of our campus facilities and ensure their safety. I look forward to another successful Spring Cleanup and hope you will participate in this important effort.
2014 Spring Cleanup Schedule
- March 17 21: Science & Engineering Research Facility. Surplus forms due the week of March 10.
- March 31 April 4: Perkins and Ferris halls. Surplus forms due the week of March 17.
- April 7 11: Estabrook Hall, East Stadium, and South Stadium. Surplus forms due the week of March 31.
- April 14 17: Hodges Library and the Communications & University Extension Building. Surplus forms due the week of April 7.
- April 21 25: Alumni Memorial Building and Burchfiel Geography Building. Surplus forms due the week of April 14.
- May 5 9: Taylor Law Center, Blount Hall, and TANDEC. Surplus forms due the week of April 21.