To: UT Faculty, Staff, and Students
From: Susan D. Martin, Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor
I’d like to invite you to participate in public forums during the next two weeks to meet the five finalists for dean of the College of Law.
The candidates are:
- Brenda V. Smith, professor of law at American University;
- William Corbett, the Frank L. Maraist Professor of Law and Wex S. Malone Professor of Law, Louisiana State University;
- Melanie Wilson, professor of law and associate dean for academic affairs, University of Kansas;
- John A. Lovett, the Devan D. Daggett Jr. Professor of Law and associate dean for faculty development and academic affairs, Loyola University New Orleans;
- Donald D. Weidner, dean of the College of Law, Florida State University.
The forum schedule is:
- Tuesday, October 7 – Smith, 3:30-4:30 p.m. in College of Law Classroom 132.
- Thursday, October 9 – Corbett, 3:30-4:30 p.m. in College of Law Classroom 132.
- Friday, October 10 – Wilson, 3:30-4:30 p.m. in College of Law Classroom 132.
- Tuesday, October 14 – Lovett, 3:30-4:30 p.m. in College of Law Classroom 132.
- Wednesday, October 15 – Weidner, 3:30-4:30 p.m. in College of Law Classroom 132.
More information on the candidates, including their curriculum vitae, is available here.
Each forum will be recorded. Once all candidates have completed their visits, archived video of the presentations will be posted online. All faculty, staff, and students are encouraged to attend the sessions or watch the archived video and share their feedback on the law dean search page.
Dean Doug Blaze decided to return to teaching full time as a member of the college’s faculty but will continue to serve until his successor is named.
Our goal is for the new dean to start work in July 2015.
Bob Rider, dean of the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences, is chair of the search committee. Members of the committee include Teri Baxter, professor of law; Scott Childs, associate dean for library and technology services and associate professor of law; Michael Higdon, director of legal writing and associate professor of law; Alex Long, professor of law; Teresa Peterson, budget director, College of Law; Brianna Powell, second-year law student; Joy Radice, associate professor of law; Paula Schaefer, associate professor of law; and Greg Stein, associate dean for faculty development and Woolf, McClane, Bright, Allen & Carpenter Distinguished Professor of Law.