Ellen McIntyre Named Dean of the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences

I am pleased to announced that Ellen McIntyre will join UT as the new dean of the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences on January 21, 2020.

Dr. McIntyre will succeed Interim Dean Jeff Fairbrother, whom I appointed to the position in July soon after former dean Bob Rider informed the college of his plans to return to the faculty. I want to express my sincere thanks to Dr. Fairbrother for his willingness to serve in this role and his great work in helping to guide the college during this time of transition.

As dean, Dr. McIntyre will oversee operations of the college, including eight departments and 17 centers, institutes, and academies.

I am excited about the vision and experience she will bring to UT. As dean of the Cato College of Education at UNC Charlotte, Dr. McIntyre oversaw the creation of a new doctoral program and revamped the teacher preparation program. I am confident that the College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences will continue to build on its success and achieve great things under her leadership.

Before joining UNC Charlotte, Dr. McIntyre served as department chair of elementary education and then interim associate dean for academic affairs in the College of Education at North Carolina State University; professor and University Scholar at the University of Louisville; a classroom teacher at Newport Independent Schools in Newport, Kentucky; and a research assistant at SRI International, an independent nonprofit scientific research institute.

Please join me in welcoming Dr. McIntyre to campus and the Big Orange family.