The UTK Leadership Development Program (LDP) is a one-year, fellowship-style program that brings together faculty and staff who occupy or intend to occupy leadership positions within the university. Participants will engage in a variety of activities over the course of a full academic year, beginning at the end of the spring term and lasting until the end of the following spring term.
- Meet and network with other rising leaders among faculty and staff across the university.
- Engage in coaching workshops on authentic leadership, leading change, and developing a career plan for lifelong leadership development.
- Join workshop dialogue sessions with UTK leaders on vital topics including campus budgeting processes, communication, conflict resolution, and career trajectories.
- Collaborate with other participants and home departments in putting some of the program concepts into action.
Full-time faculty and staff who have worked at UT for at least 2 years are eligible. Also, participants in the SEC Academic Leadership Development Program are also automatically enrolled in the UTK LDP. Space is limited to 10-15 participants, so the application process is competitive, and preference goes to those newly promoted to leadership positions. If your application is not selected this year, please apply again!
The program schedule has to remain flexible to some extent, to accommodate guest appearances, but in its most basic form it includes:
- End of spring term: A kick-off workshop series (two half-days) on authentic leadership and leading change, with recommendations for summer reading and individual coaching
- Fall term: Around 3-4 workshop dialogue sessions with UTK leaders
- Final spring term: Around 3-4 workshop dialogue sessions with UTK leaders
- Final spring term: A leadership project, to be developed in consultation with LDP facilitators and the home department or unit
- End of final spring term: A wrap-up workshop series (two half-days) returning to the concept of authentic leadership and a career plan for lifelong development
The application process for the 2020-2021 UTK LDP cohort is complete. A detailed application process for the next cohort will be posted in December 2020, so check back then for more information!
For questions about the LDP, please contact Special Programs Coordinator Chris Kilgore.
- Alica Shamblin, Recruitment Manager, Human Resources
- Silke Hecht, Professor, Small Animal Clinical Sciences
- Heather Kelly, Associate Professor | Extension Specialist, Entomology & Plant
- Mitsunori Misawa, Associate Professor, CEHHS (SEC ALDP Participant)
- Brian Ranger, Director, Biological Safety
- Mark Willoughby, Director of Student Engagement, Haslam College of Business
- Ashley Howdeshell, Business Manager, College of Social Work
- Brent Lamons, Director of Advising and Student Success, UT Institute of Agriculture
- Brian Krumm, Associate Professor, College of Law (SEC ALDP Participant, Faculty Senate President-Elect)
- Mary Held, Associate Professor & Director, Nashville MSSW Program (SEC ALDP Participant)
- Paul Frymier, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs & Engagement, and Professor, Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering
- Brian O’Meara, Professor, Associate Head, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
- Emily Bivens, Professor, School of Art
- Jennifer Hardy, Deputy Registrar, Office of the University Registrar