The University Space Committee (USC) is responsible for implementing policies that promote the efficient and effective utilization of all UT space (including buildings and property). The committee makes recommendations concerning the assignment, reassignment, classification, and reclassification of space, and the assignment or reassignment of administrative priority for centrally-scheduled spaces. It reviews and makes recommendations concerning proposals for any modifications or renovations that may be desirable after space assignments or classifications are made or updated. It also reviews existing space-related policies and recommends changes to these policies when needed. The committee’s recommendations are advisory to the Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor, the Senior Vice Chancellor for Finance & Administration, and the Vice Chancellor for Student Life.
Space is defined as all space leased or owned by the state and maintained by the Knoxville campus, including that which is occupied by other university entities, including but not limited to, university-wide administration, affiliated Foundations, and the Institutes of Agriculture, and Public Service.
- Betsy Adams, Haslam College of Business
- Mark Alexander, Division of Student Life
- Brian Browning, Finance and Administration (Co-Chair)
- Bill Dunne, College of Engineering
- Kellie Fecteau, Faculty Senate representative
- Jennifer Hardy, Office of the Registrar
- Robert Hinde, Office of the Provost (Co-Chair)
- Terry Ledford, Facilities Services
- Larry McKay, College of Arts and Sciences
- Hollie Raynor, College of Education, Health, and Human Sciences
- Renee Thomas, Office of Research and Engagement
- January 21, 2022 (1:00 pm) | Agenda
- February 25, 2022 (2:30 pm) | Agenda
- March 28, 2022 (1:30 pm) | Agenda
- April 25, 2022 (1:30 pm) | Agenda
- May 23, 2022 (1:15 pm) | Agenda
- January 28, 2021 | Agenda | Minutes
- March 31, 2021 | Agenda | Minutes
- April 30, 2021 | Agenda | Minutes
- May 24, 2021 | Agenda | Minutes
- June 21, 2021 | Agenda | Minutes
- August 27, 2021 | Agenda | Minutes
- September 27, 2021 | Agenda | Minutes forthcoming
- October 25, 2021 | Agenda | Minutes forthcoming
- November 19, 2021 | Agenda | Minutes forthcoming
Space Request Process & Information
Submit either to email@example.com or to both Committee Co-chairs, with a copy to Sarah Hoel.
- All requests for action by the USC must be submitted either through a college office (for units housed in a college) or through the appropriate vice chancellor (or the vice chancellor’s delegate).
- Units requesting action by the USC are responsible for providing adequate justification for the requested assignment and also determining whether the request may affect other departments/units. A list of the units that will be affected must be provided as part of the request submitted to the USC.
- Once a space request is received, it is presented and discussed as an agenda item at a future monthly committee meeting. Requests must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the meeting at which they will be considered.
- When appropriate, the Chancellor’s Cabinet may need to weigh in for approval.
- A member of the USC will communicate the committee’s decision to the space requestor.
Information to Include in a Space Request:
- Name of Requesting Department/College/Division
- Cost center of Requesting Department/College/Division
- Requestor’s Name and Contact Information
- Description and Rationalization of Request
- Date Request is Needed/Timeline
- Identify the Usage Type for the space/spaces being requested (examples: classroom/lab, office, conference room, storage)
- List any Space Requirements (examples: square footage, capacity, AV needs, furniture needs, painting, installations, replacements, etc.)
- List all Potential Costs Associated with the Request and Source of Funding
- List the Units Affected by the Request